Jennifer, my two daughters and I spent Christmas and the New Year in Southeastern Massachusetts with my family this year. It gave me an opportunity to reflect on the last twelve months. Here are some of the accomplishments:
- ChannelAdvisor IPO. We were the first investor to participate over 11 years ago. This was the biggest investment we ever made as a firm. Now it carries a market cap close to $1 billion.
- We announced our participation as sole institutional investor in AudienceFUEL. This marks the second time we have invested in a company led by Troy McConnell. His first one was Batanga. The neat thing about this was it was also the second time out of SCV Fund II that we backed a Fund I entrepreneur.
- David and I hosted Entrepreneurs' Series: Venture Outlook in January 2013. We keep getting asked when these will return because we haven't hosted one since and they were popular. Yes, they are coming back!
- David and I continued our involvement and successful partnership with the guys at Tech Media. They put out a bunch of great conferences throughout the year. The ones we are most heavily involved with include Internet Summit, Startup Summit and Southeast Venture Conference. Just those three attracted close to 3,000 people.
- David and I launched Bull City Venture Partners, to continue our focus on partnering with great entrepreneurs in the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic.
- From BCVP, we partnered with River Cities Funds and invested in Raleigh, NC-based Stepleader Digital. Brian Handly has always been one of our favorite entrepreneurs in the region.
I think we had a really productive year and I'm looking forward to a great 2014. As always, if there is anything I can do to help you this year, please reach out.