Some random comments before going into the weekend. I hope everyone had a great week!
- Good seeing the StarPound guys this morning at our office. We are not an investor there, but Scott has been one of the more active entrepreneurs in the Atlanta area and we always enjoy his immense passion. For those that don't know Scott, he and Mike are the guys behind Capital Lounge in Atlanta - a free networking event for entrepreneurs and investors.
- Lots of good press for North Carolina this week here, here and here.
- CED's Venture 2010 is already shaping up. Make sure you have it on your calendar now. Jim Whitehurst is going to be one of the keynotes. And I asked Brad, Noel and Todd to be on a VC panel and they're all coming. Looking for 1 more to fill it out.
- Internet Summit is coming up next month. Lineup is awesome. We've put a lot of effort into it.
- We're getting asked a lot lately about if we're seeing a huge spike in new companies coming to us for funding. No. But I can't say we ever saw a massive drop off either. Yes, we saw a lot of companies go away or quietly hunker down. But with those, we also saw a new crop of companies and entreprenuers emerge.
- A couple of different groups are working hard locally (North Carolina) to put together their own angel group. That's not easy in this market for sure. But if they pull it off and I hope they both do, I know a lot of entrepreneurs and the VCs here, would welcome it. Are you interested in joining an angel fund? Let me know and I will connect you to both.
- Not sure you saw, but I did some quick calculations this week one night and tweeted the ages of these companies at launch: GOOG 25; YHOO 26; MSFT 20; AAPL 21; DELL 19; EBAY 28; Facebook 19. Just a quick sample. But I think it shows that we need to continue be supportive of the next wave of entrepreneurs in our region.